Salt Lake Gaming Con, Minecraft, and Podcasts… Ooohhhhh myyyyyyyy.
Hey geeks! A few updates on the state of The Geekwave.
First off, we apologize for the fact that the show will not be playing today. We are at Salt Lake Gaming Con today covering the show and viewing the tournaments. However, there are a couple of other exciting things happening today to keep you sated!
After a week of tinkering, building, and preparing, we’re ready to launch our new Minecraft Server! Here’s the deets:
- By the vote of the people, the new server is A Brand New World, running Spigot Minecraft, with a Whitelist. It’s also currently in BETA. We’ve added a few cool plugins to it, including some economy plugins that are completely unbalanced. We welcome suggestions for balancing those and for plugins we should consider. You can submit a suggestion or an error or commentary in two ways: You can use /mail in game to mail MasterSolar, or you can send a message to The Geekwave Facebook Page. You can also message a moderator if one of them is online.
- Your current moderators for this new server are MasterSolar, Rakdos24, and Tulump2011. MasterSolar is our official technician and plugin manager, and Tulump is our admin designer.
- The new server will be hosted at a new address: minecraft.kuteradio.org. The old address (officialuofu.mossycobble.com) will be set up to point to our old server, with all of the lag and destruction and vanilla you remember. This set up will not be completed today, but rest assured that the new server will be up and running at its new address at 3pm today.
- Everyone who’s made it onto the whitelist so far will be on the whitelist for the new server. Everyone who isn’t on the whitelist and would like to be must send a Facebook message from their personal account to The Geekwave Facebook Page. The old server will not be accepting any more onto its whitelist (unless you can convince us that you built a bunch of stuff on the old server and just missed the first whitelist window. We’re really not that picky.)
- If you’re interested, the current plugins we have installed are Essentials, Vault, Jobs Reborn, Grief Prevention, LapisPortals, BetterShops, and Dynmap. I encourage you especially check out Grief Prevention’s features that let players claim and protect their own land, and you can view our dynmap at minecraft.kuteradio.org:8123
I think that’s it! Have fun, be nice, and feel free to let Tulump know how well she did with the Spawn area.
Finally, some big news about The Geekwave. As I mentioned, today we won’t be on the air, but we will be recording an episode for you guys on the show floor of Salt Lake Gaming Con. If you’re going to be at the Con, send us a message and we may invite you to be on the show. This will be the first of our line of Official Podcasts, and starting later this month, The Geekwave will no longer be on the air. Instead, our show will be released in Podcast Form every week via K-UTE Radio’s Official Website. K-UTE’s hope for this transition is that we’ll be able to allow more people to listen to The Geekwave then just those who were able to tune in on Fridays, and our flexibility of production will allow for more on-site recordings, special guests, and promotion. We’ve really enjoyed coming to you live every week, and we thank all of our listeners, especially those who engaged with us during the show. So rest assured, The Geekwave is not over, and hopefully you and your friends can listen to us more now that you can listen to us whenever!
On that note, The Geekwave is currently looking for new hosts! K-UTE Radio is hiring interns for the Fall Semester, and with Claire and Kelby leaving our fine University, we need new hosts who are interested in podcasting, convention-going, and all things Geeky. Perks include possible internship credit, free convention passes, and future scholarship opportunities. If you’re interested in joining our team, please fill out the internship application found here, and submit it to email@example.com.