Finals week is hard. But you always feel great after because you have accomplished so much! As a geek, I have learned a few things about what to do and what not to do when finals time comes around. Here is some advice that I have learned during my schooling. This post will be quite short as I have to go and prepare for finals.
Things to do:
- Wear geeky clothing! Feel comfortable. Or if you are one of those people who likes to show up in a suit for finals do that too. Whatever makes you feel qualified and ready. This will help boost your self esteem and confidence.
- Take a nap. This isn’t really a geeky thing but probably my most test and best piece of advice. I take naps all the time during finals week. Even if you can only squeeze in 10-20 minutes it can make a hugs difference and kind of psych your body out if you are not getting enough sleep. Also try to get enough sleep!
- Listen to some good music! YouTube is populated with a bunch of remixes for studying. Try something new or just look up a playlist of music you like. Personally I like inspirational music like rock and roll or EDM without words. I have found I study a lot more efficiently when listening to the right music. This is actually a gaming mix that I use a lot for when I 3D model: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l3BcT1VYgg
Things not to do:
- Do not play video games or indulge in binge watching prior to a final. Try to reduce your screen time during the week so you can get good sleep and be well prepared. However,it is okay to utilize a show or a quick match to take your mind of things and de-stress just don’t over do it. Balance is key.
- Avoid the energy drinks and candy! I am a culprit of consuming both, but during finals week is a great time to avoid them cause you can quite easily screw up you sleep cycle with Monster. Trust me, I have done it. I personally love to chew Extra Gum. This is a great alternative to eating lots of candy and it is good cause it also cleans your teeth, or so my dentist told me.
- Avoid news sources! They will make you realize how many awesome games and movies are coming out. This is like the greatest procrastination tool and can definitely cause a train wreck to any finals study time. Just know their is some really cool stuff coming out really soon and you can look forward to all of it when finals is over…*cough*…*cough* Captain America: Civil War!
Take this advice with a grain or bag of salt. These are just principles that I like. Have a great end to your semester and good luck with finals. Study hard and get some sleep! I would say don’t procrastinate but we all know we would be lying to ourselves. Ollie out!
-Ollie, part student, part velociraptor (goes and studies for finals that unfortunately do not involve dinosaurs.)